Mold Removal

Mold can be a serious issue for homeowners. If left untreated, mold can damage a property in many different ways. It can also be very detrimental to your health. There are many different symptoms that can occur if you are exposed to mold for a long period of time. You could begin experiencing headaches, dizziness, respiratory trouble, and flu-like symptoms.

Professional Services

This is why it is so critical to hire professional help if you suspect your property has a mold problem. These professionals will be able to get to the root of the problem and begin the process of determining what health hazards are present. They will have access to lab results to see exactly what type of mold is present.

Getting Rid Of Mold

One of the most important things when dealing with mold is that it is contained at its source. Once the mold is isolated you can begin to eradicate it. You want to do this before the mold becomes airborne and permeates other areas of the home. This way, you will prevent the problem from reaching other parts of your property.

Mold vs. Your Health

Mold Spores

Mold is much more than just unpleasant to look at. It can severely damage furniture and items inside your property, as well. It can also be a very dangerous health hazard. Mold creates small cells known as spores which can very easily spread throughout your home by air or water.

Mold Related Symptoms- Allergic reactions, asthma attacks, susceptibility to colds and sinus infections.

Health Risks

There does not need to be a lot of mold for it to have an impact on people’s health. Infants and the elderly are especially prone to the damaging effects of mold.

People For Whom Mold Can Be A Serious Problem- Infants, children, immune-compromised patients, pregnant women, people with respiratory issues, people with allergies or asthma and the elderly.

 

Toxic  Mold Exposure

Toxic mold, like Stachybotrys and Memnoniella, can promote serious and sometimes fatal health conditions. It is vital to realize that mold can be very hazardous to your health. This is especially true for individuals with allergies.

Toxic Mold Symptoms- Nasal congestion, eye irritation, sinus inflammation, skin irritation, breathlessness, headache, runny nose, fatigue, cough, sore throat, hoarseness

 

More Serious Symptoms- Ear inflammation, bleeding lungs, nose bleeds, memory loss, joint pain

Mold Removal Process

Water Removal

In order to rid mold from a property the first step is to fix the moisture issue which is causing the mold to grow. It’s important to find the source of water buildup in order to stop the fungal growth. The humidity in the area must also be figured out. If it’s 55% or higher, a dehumidifier should be used on the area in question.

In situations where there is severe flooding or a water leak, the standing water must be pumped out immediately followed by drying the area. All moist materials have to be moved from walls and floors.

The quicker these problems are taken care of the less problematic the damage will be. Toxic mold can germinate and grow within 24-48 hours after a water leakage.

Dust Removal

A primary mode of transportation for mold is dust, the mold spores can be dispersed through the air, so it is important to remove dust and contain an area once the water is removed. Each room should be individually cleaned. Before cleaning the room should be sealed off as to prevent further contamination of the property. A room can be sealed by using plastic sheeting sealed with duct tape.

An exhaust fan is then placed next to an open or partially open door or window that is open to the outside. This will produce a negative air pressure which will direct the air flow out of the property. This ensures any mold spores that have been created during the cleaning will be sent outside. It’s important to turn the HVAC system off before cleaning mold.

Cleaning Mold

If a dry surface needs to be cleaned then it is lightly misted with water. If the mold is too dry then it will become airborne quicker than if it is watered down. The area is then disinfected and as much mold will be removed as possible. All adjacent areas will be thoroughly cleaned. Even if there is no visible mold there could still be lingering spores. Once the surface area has been cleaned and properly disinfected it will be completely dried off so that no mold is able to return.

Mold Disposal

The mold and mold-infested materials will be disposed of in heavy-duty plastic bags. They should not be moved through the property, as they could infect the rest of the house. The bags will be disposed of out a window or other accessible outlet to the direct outside. Carefully discard the mold and mold-infested materials into heavy-duty trash bags. You should try not to transport the bags throughout the house, especially other clean areas. Otherwise, you will be at risk of further spreading of the mold. They can then be taken to any landfill to be properly disposed of.